Counting down my Great-Grandparents, this week is Williams. There always seems to be some dispute among the Williams researchers. At the moment, there is a discrepancy in this line. This is what I’m using right now, but check out my full database (with notes and more info) if you’re part of this family and want more information.
12 generations of WILLIAMS connected through:
4. Charles Ernest Loops II (1906-1977)
5. Laura Melba Dekle (1908-1994)
10. DEROY DEKLE was born on 19 Jun 1880 in Bulloch Co., Ga. He died on 14 Aug 1958 in Bulloch Co., Ga.
11. LEVIETTA “Levie” SERENA WILLIAMS was born on 19 May 1879 in Excelsior, Bulloch Co., Ga. She died on 12 Feb 1955 in Statesboro, Bulloch Co., Ga. She was buried in Eastside Cemetery,Bulloch Co.,Ga.
Children of D.R. and Levie Dekle were: Marilee, Lester, Bernard, Melba, Evelyn and Margie.
22. HENRY ROBERT WILLIAMS was born on 11 Jun 1856 in Excelsior, Bulloch Co., Ga. He died on 4 Feb 1936 in Statesboro, Bulloch Co., Ga.
23. LAURA MOZELLE LESTER was born on 24 Jan 1860 in Bryan Co., Ga. She died on 20 Feb 1936 in Statesboro, Bulloch Co., Ga. She was buried in Eastside Cemetery,Bulloch Co.,Ga.
Children of Henry and Laura Williams were: Levietta, John Clyde Williams (1884-1979), Ruby Williams (1884-?), Mabel Williams (1888-1890), Ouida Williams (1893-1984), Robert Lee Williams (1894-1912), and Sibyl Williams (1900-1944)
44. JEFFERSON GODFREY WILLIAMS MD was born on 4 Mar 1825 in Excelsior, Bulloch Co., Ga. He died on 30 Mar 1903 in Statesboro, Bulloch Co., Ga. He was buried in Oliff-Williams-Geiger Cemetery,Excelsior Community,Bulloch Co.,Ga.
45. SARAH ELIZABETH BRANNEN was born on 5 May 1832 in Bulloch Co., Ga. She died on 8 Mar 1879 in Bulloch Co., Ga. She was buried in Oliff-Williams-Geiger Cemetery,Excelsior Community,Bulloch Co.,Ga
Children of Jefferson Godfrey and Sarah Williams were: Martha “Mattie” Williams (abt 1854-abt 1925); Henrietta H. Williams (1850-1933); John William Williams (1851-1933); William Williams (1859-1920) and Henry Robert.
Jefferson married second, Laura Wallace. Three children: Emmit P. Williams (1879-1879); Hal Williams (1883-1883), and Sarah Nell Williams (1889-1976).
Jefferson married third, Millie Kingery. Two children: Delanie Williams (1894-1897) and Lafayette Williams (1901-1960).
88. WILLIAM BRINSON WILLIAMS was born in 1796 in Bulloch Co., Ga. He died in May 1876 in Bulloch Co., Ga.
89. SARAH GREEN was born in 1803 in Tattnall Co.,Ga. She died on 22 Mar 1855 in Bulloch Co., Ga. She was buried in William Cemetery,Bulloch Co.,Ga.
Children of William Brinson and Sarah were: John C. Williams (?), John Arnold Williams (?), Lewis Williams (?), Jefferson Godfrey Williams, Laricy Williams (abt 1833-?), Mitchell Williams (abt 1837-?), Louisa Williams (abt 1839-?), Robert J. Williams (1841-?), and Henry Williams (abt 1845-?).
Children of Seth and Betsey Williams were: Carroll Williams (?), William Brinson Williams, Nancy Williams (1799-1887), Godfrey Williams (1807-?), and Anson Williams (abt 1810-1850).
Children of William and Mary Williams: Seth Williams, Anson Williams (abt 1767-?), Charlotte Williams (abt 1769-?), Sarah Williams (abt 1771-?), Priscilla Williams (?), and Mary Williams (?).
THIS IS WHERE THINGS GET CONFUSING
There is no direct information linking William to Stephen. It seems to be a connection that only online trees have made, and might not be correct.
Children of Stephen and Elizabeth Williams: William Williams, James Williams (abt 1746-?), John Williams (abt 1748-?), Sarah Williams (abt 1752-?), Mary Williams (abt 1754-?), Elizabeth Williams (abt 1756-?).
The Dates of the two following Anthony Williams do not match right. Something is wrong. I am working on these four generations.
Children of Anthony and Mary Williams: Stephen Williams, Benjamin Williams (abt 1722-1830); Mary Williams (1724-1809); Penelope Williams (abt 1726-?), Pherabee Williams (abt 1728-?); Esther Williams (abt 1730-?); Sivility/Civility Williams (abt 1732-?)
Children of Anthony and Martha Williams:
William Williams (abt 1709-abt 1800), John Williams (abt 1712-1790), Anthony Williams, Sarah Ann Williams (abt 1714-1799), Mary Williams (abt 1815-abt 1804); Eleanor Williams (abt 1716-abt 1810); Lewis Williams (abt 1708-abt 1796).
Children of Lewis and Mary Williams: Priscilla Williams (abt 1678-?); Margaret Williams (1656-1728); Anthony Williams, and Elizabeth Williams (abt 1700-?).
11264. JOHN WILLIAMS II was born in 1615 in Queens Creek,York Co.,VA. He died in 1688 in Isle Of Wight County,Virginia.
11265. ANN WHITLEY was born about 1620 in Isle Of Wight County,Virginia. She died in Apr 1694 in Isle Of Wight County,Virginia.
Children of John and Ann Williams: Lewis Williams, Ann Williams, Sarah Williams, Elizabeth Williams, Thomas Williams (abt 1640-1693); John Williams (abt 1640-1692); George Williams (abt 1640-1672); Rowland Williams (abt 1640-1678).
**I think it’s interesting that I have the above four children, all born abt 1640. How have I not fixed THAT yet????**
Notes on Lewis Williams (#5632)…
From the research of Mrs. Carl Pittman of Tifton, Ga., daughter of John Clyde Williams of Bulloch CO., Ga.
This lineage has been proven in many books and accepted by the DAR,Society of Sons & Daughters of the Pilgrims, National Society of Colonial Dames of the 17th Century.
According to Mrs. Pittman, there are at least four men named Lewis Williams who were listed as immigrants to America in 1650. She is not100% positive, but feels strongly that the Lewis Williams of this lineage came over the Captain Richard Bond of Charles City Co.
Some researchers have said that there was an ancestor of this Lewis already in America, and that John Williams was the father or grandfather of Lewis, and that he is the one who came over from Wales. To Mrs. Pittman’s knowledge, no one has ever come up with any solid proof of this. As far as any Genealogical Society is concerned, Lewis is the first to be in America.
Again, a lot of discrepancies with this family. And difficult to research because, of course, there are SO many Williams of the same names, at the same times, in the same location. How do you sift through all the information?
I’ll keep you posted.